Achilles Australia – Code of Conduct
Chapters of Achilles Australia are committed to providing a welcoming environment that will allow people with disabilities to participate in mainstream athletic events, in order to promote personal achievement, enhance self-esteem and lower barriers to living a fulfilling life.
To assist the Club’s commitment to upholding these values, members agree to adhere to the following Code of Conduct.
- Show respect to Achilles members and other members of the public at all times, with any interaction free from discrimination or vilification based on gender, age, religion, disability, life circumstance or political beliefs.
- Conduct themselves in a manner that will ensure a welcoming, respectful, and comfortable club environment for all.
- Never yell, taunt, or threaten or use physical violence upon another member of the club, a staff member, volunteer or event participant or event spectator (Members with a criminal history of violence or with a legal restraining order against them by another member may be barred from membership and participation in all club activities).
- Never make unwanted verbal, sexual or physical contact with other members.
- Behave in a manner that is safe, and does not put themselves or others at risk of physical harm or legal liability.
- Operate adaptive equipment in a fashion that does not endanger others.
- Observe and obey all rules and regulations governing races, including those governing the sale or transfer of race bibs.
- Be respectful to and follow directions of race officials and volunteers.
- Never knowingly misrepresent themselves to Achilles committees in order to gain entry to or reimbursement for races they have not trained for and cannot complete.
- If injury or other circumstances prevent a member from taking part in an event sponsored by the Club, the member must inform the committee immediately, and must surrender the race kit if requested.
- Sponsored race entries cannot be transferred to non-Achilles persons or on-sold under any circumstance.
- Promotional codes granted to Achilles by events cannot be relayed to non-Achilles persons.
- The Club has developed policies covering social media. These policies are designed to protect the privacy and good name of the Club and its members. Members should adhere to these policies. The present policies can be viewed here: Achilles Social Media Policy
- Please immediately report any inappropriate actions or behaviours, to a member of the Committee, or to another Club member whom you may prefer.
- The leadership of the Club is committed to investigating the breach as soon as practicable. The investigation will be thorough yet discreet. At all times the privacy of the complainant will be paramount. No disclosure of the complaint will be shared with any other individual without the express permission of the complainant.
- If such behaviour involves the member of another Achilles Club, the Committee of that Club will be involved in the remedial process.
- Breaches of the Code of Conduct will lead to a warning or expulsion.
Achilles Australia Waiver
Running and walking are physical activities that carry a number of risks. Such risks include health-related consequences and it is my responsibility to ensure I am fit and able to take part in any Achilles running or walking event or training session. It is my responsibility to seek advice from my GP and to obtain clearance to participate in running or walking events.
Other risks include possible trips, falls and collisions, and I accept that my participation in Achilles-organised activities is strictly voluntary and is done so entirely at my own risk.
I agree to accept that Achilles Australia has no blame for injury, loss and damage sustained by me.
Furthermore, I acknowledge that participation in an Achilles event may present the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 virus, despite the implementation of processes designed to mitigate such risks. I knowingly assume such risks.
I understand that Achilles Australia provides only running or walking advice and guidance, companionship and encouragement. If, at any stage, I am uncomfortable or concerned with any aspect of the guiding, I will bring it to the immediate attention of my guides or the person I am guiding. If I have continued concerns about the safety and comfort of Achilles activities, I will inform Achilles Australia of these concerns.
I acknowledge that occasionally Achilles Australia will register me for events organised by third parties. I hereby grant Achilles Australia permission to act as proxy on my behalf for those events, with full authorisation to execute consents, waivers and releases included in the event registration process. This will usually include the allowing of the event organisers to use photographs, videos, recordings or any other record of my participation in the events for any legitimate purpose, without remuneration.
I have read this waiver and agree to the terms.